Men typically don’t care too much about revealing some skin (and some men don’t have a modest bone in their bodies, even in their birthday suits).
But I can tell you that, as a woman, I’ve asked for assistance from friends to hold up large beach towels while I change more times than I can count.
That’s why pontoon boat changing rooms and privacy partitions are excellent pontoon boat accessories. Having one of these is a convenient way to make our modest guests and shy friends more comfortable.
Why and How to Add a Privacy Partition to Your Pontoon
Kids and small children can be bashful, especially around adults who aren’t mom and dad. And even more to the point, kids have very sensitive skin. It’s probably a good idea to change them out of wet clothes to avoid skin rashes from bathing suits and swim trunks.
You may need a changing room or partition for another obvious reason: Using a portable toilet. Sometimes we can just hop in the water to relieve ourselves; other times—not so much. And if you’ve never thought of keeping a portable toilet on board, check out our pontoon boat bathrooms post, which gives multiple reasons to consider one as well as provides reviews of popular choices.
Privacy partitions are quite painless to set up. They’re easy to hang whenever you stop for a dip and a breeze, and they’re easy to take down when you’re ready to gain speed.
You don’t have to leave them permanently hanging in the wind beneath your pontoon’s bimini. Most hanging partitions conveniently attach to the bimini with a set of straps. Often times the straps are Velcro and fully adjustable. They fold up to be stowed away in your on-deck storage, and they generally don’t take up much room.
There are a few different ways to add changing rooms to pontoons, including outfitting and building a custom changing room.
Here’s a breakdown of six pontoon boat privacy partitions available for purchase on the market today.
6 Pontoon Privacy Partitions for Discreet Boaters
1. Taylor Made Easy Up Partition
- Installed under bimini top or hard top
- Straps and hardware included
- Constructed from "fire retardant" marine grade polyester
- Full-length, heavy duty zipper
- Installed 30" wide x 30" deep x 70" tall
Materials: 100% marine-grade polyester
Size: 70″H x 30″W x 30″D
- Full-length double zipper. (It used to be made with only one zipper on the outside, rendering it difficult to operate from the inside. Taylor Made must have seen the complaints and has since made an adjustment.)
- Hook and loop mounting straps for installing anywhere under both biminis and hard tops.
2. Vortex Privacy Room
- Easy On / Easy Off
- Provides Much Needed Privacy While Boating
- Easy to Store
- Room is White with Zippered Access and Velcro Straps for Attaching to Bimini
- Customer Support: 1-800-309-5190 (8:30 am - 4:30 pm) Monday - Friday
Materials: 600-denier, marine-grade canvas. This material is similar to what’s used in pontoon boat covers and biminis, so you can trust that it’s very durable.
Size: 69″H x 30″W x 38″D
- White-colored material with zipper access and Velcro straps.
- Takes down, folds and stores away easily.
- Customer reviews have mentioned that Vortex provides great customer service should you have any issues with your product.
3. Carver Changing Room
- Instant Privacy On Your Boat to Use While Changing or Portable Potty Use!
- Highest Tear Strength Available, 8 oz Performance Poly-Guard - 100% Marine-Grade Polyester is a Premium Fabric Made In The USA
- Height Is Adjustable Up To 60″ to Accommodate Individuals and Uses
- Attaches To Bimini Top Poles with 1″ Heavy-Duty Polypropylene Straps
- Quick Release Buckles for Easy Installation and Removal
Materials: Poly-guard, marine-grade polyester and 1″ polypropylene straps
Size: 60″H x 30″W x 30″D
- Adjustable height. Though most pontoons need it to be a bit longer, it only goes shorter than 60 inches, not longer.
- Quick-release buckles on straps that attach to bimini tops.
- velcro to the underside of the bimini on the middle bows
- 72" long by 30" wide by 27" deep
- mulitple colors available
- heavy duty zipper with double pull for easy access
- easy on easy off
Materials: Letom, similar to canvas fabrics for boat covers.
Straight from the fabric manufacturer’s mouth, Letom is a “polyester solution dyed textile fabric for marine covers.” If Sunbrella fabrics are your preference, go to the NorthStar Products website to special order (with an upcharge).
Size: 72″H x 30″W x 27″D
- I particularly love that this partition comes in multiple colors: Black, blue, burgundy, green, grey and tan. No matter what color your pontoon is, they’ve got you covered!
- Velcro straps to secure to bimini middle bows.
- Heavy-duty zippers that won’t snag, on both the inside and outside of the partition.
- Comes with a 12″ x 18″ storage pouch, which is a nice added feature I don’t see other manufacturers mentioning. If most of these partitions are designed to fold away and store, it would be nice to have something to store it in and keep the dirt and grime away.
5. KingCamp Pop-up Privacy Shelter
- Dimensions: 47" X 47" X 75", maximum privacy shelter
- Frame: 4 steel leg poles and center hub create a stable structure, flysheet: 185T polyester rip stop, PU waterproof rated: 450mm
- Instant pop up: set up and break down is easy and quick, No tools required, convenient and fast
- 185T polyester with a 450mm waterproof rating, amazing water resistance
- Looking for a Silver Coated tent? Please search ASIN: B073FCT3ZC
Materials: 185-denier polyester ripstop fabric with a 450 mm waterproof rating.
Size: 74.8″H x 47.2″W x 47.2″D | Folds to 24″D
- I like that this pop-up privacy tent has a bag included. In fact, unlike privacy screens that attach to biminis, you can utilize this screen anywhere you go. If you don’t want the privacy screen on the boat, you can put it on land and save space while camping.
- It folds to 24″ diameter and comes with an included bag.
- Sturdy zipper and hinge door-like entry.
- Four steel pole legs and a center hub add extra support and stability for windy conditions.
- Comes with sand bag and tie-down stakes.
- Roll-up mesh windows provide ventilation for heat and bathroom odors.
- Velcro, removable floor you can conveniently take out to clean or leave out entirely for water runoff during showers.
- Comes in two colors: Blue and green.
6. WolfWise Pop-up Shower Tent
- POP UP DESIGN & PORTABILITY - Pops up and folds down in seconds, no assembly required. Ultra-lightweight construction allows for easy transportation with included carrying bag. Weighing just 4.3 pounds; it can be folded into a compact size of 22.8" L x 22.8" W x 1.4" H.
- SPACIOUS SPACE - The tent is 47.2" L x 47.2" W x 74.8" H providing a spacious interior shelter that comfortably fits a tall man without touching your head, which is much higher and roomier than other sellers in the market.
- STRUCTURAL FEATURES - The tent is made of anti-tear 190T polyester for long-lasting performance. The frame is made of galvanized steel which is not easy to break and protects against corrosion. The tent is designed without the base to keep it clean. With 1 side bag to store your phone, tablet, or other handy items and 1 clothesline for hanging wet clothes or towels.
- VENTILATION & VERSATILITY - The mesh top design and zipper window with large entrance deliver 360-degree ventilation for better dissipation of body heat and odor. WolfWise shower tent offers a private space for using the toilet and enjoying a quick shower when you go camping outside. It also provides a changing room for models to change clothes when you shoot outdoors, for your kid's dancing competition, or for clothes vending stands.
- UPF 30+ & WATER REPELLENT - The water repellent polyester with taped seams keeps the inner shelter dry, which blocks 60% harmful UV rays and it can be used as a temporary shelter when you are in the wild or at the beach.
Materials: Waterproof taffeta polyester and flexible steel. Included are four mounting stakes and a carrying bag.
Size: 75″H x 47.2″W x 47.2″D
- Included is a bag into which the tent can be folded and compacted.
- One noticeable difference between these two pop-up partitions is the door. Unlike a swinging hinged door like the one above, this pop-up’s door rolls up and ties.
- Comes in two colors: Blue and green.
Overall Thoughts on How to Choose a Pontoon Privacy Partition
The biggest disadvantage I noticed about drop-down partitions is they just aren’t long enough.
Whether pontoon manufacturers are just slowly increasing the standard height to biminis—or whatever the case may be—the longest partition found was 72 inches.
For adults using it as a changing room, seeing someone from the knees down may not be an issue. But if you plan to use it for a boat bathroom, your partition needs will be different. In fact, some partitions wouldn’t shield a small child from changing. Consider the length or style based on your needs.
Like I mentioned earlier, these partitions aren’t hard to put up or take down, so I thoroughly recommend taking them down when not in use. They do get in the way—right there behind the driver’s view—and they can annoyingly block the use of benches for anyone wanting to stay beneath the bimini for shade.
Even though drop-down partitions are specifically designed for pontoons and look more appealing, I think the pop-ups have one bigger advantage: You can carry them anywhere! You don’t need to worry where you’re hanging them. You can take them out and set ’em up on the beach or at a campsite.
The disadvantage of pop-up partitions lies on the flip side: They don’t attach anywhere! They come with stakes instead of Velcro bimini straps, but you can’t stake them down on your pontoon boat decking either. If a nasty wind comes up, you might find yourself swimming after a pop-up partition kite. So I’d say that—if you plan to use it on-deck and without being staked—you should maybe rig something out to keep it secure.
Pontoon privacy partitions are relatively inexpensive and go up in a flash (get it?).
So, if you start seeing your shoreside neighbors mooning in broad daylight—maybe not the best water views—and want them to show some decorum, buy one for them as a gift!
Or heck, drop them a not-so-subtle hint and send them this post.