Sittin’ on the Dock: The 6 Best Dock Boxes to Stow Your Boat Gear
Whether we're sittin' on the dock of the bay or rollin' on the river, we boaters can always use more storage space for all of our boating baggage. From extra towels, sunscreen and tools to boat gadgets and accessories, it's great to be able to leave it behind (preferably in a safe spot rather than just piled on the dock or at the marina. So, what's a well-organized boater to do? Invest in a dock box, that's what!
What Is a Dock Box?A dock box is that big box (similar to a cooler) that sits on a lake dock or marina walkway usually right in front of the boat slip. It's used to stow items you don't need while you're out on the boat or have gone home. You can use it for life jackets, fishing gear, watersports gear, electronics and most anything else you can fit in there. Technically, you could even use a dock box on the actual boat itself.
Smart Features of the Best Dock BoxesYou might be thinking Why do I need to buy a dock box? I already have a big plastic Rubbermaid that could work perfectly.â€ Well, that Rubbermaid storage box just won't cut it for very long. You need something that's durable and strong, but most importantly, water and weatherproof.
Water and WeatherproofThe best dock boxes are water and weather proof. This dock box is going to be sitting outside in rain, wind, heat and humidity. Maybe snow, possibly salt air and definitely other elemental circumstances. You'll want something that can withstand the outdoor environment. Come to think of it, add animal-proof in there as well. Marine critters can be pesky!
UV GelcoatAs discussed, the weather is a big factor in choosing a dock box. Find something with a protective UV gelcoat that will save the dock box from sun damage and harsh weather.
Stainless Steel LatchesWhen there's water around, stainless steel is the best for durability and rust-resistance.
Gas Shock Lid LiftsGas shock lid lifts are the best invention ever, in my opinion. They help keep the lid open on swaying docks and boats. If you've ever had a lid fall closed on your hand, you won't even consider buying anything else.
Fiberglass or Marine-Grade PolyethyleneBoats are made out of fiberglass for a reason. This material holds up well and is extremely durable.
Smooth Interior FinishWhile fiberglass is certainly strong and durable, it's not friendly to hands. You'll want something with a smooth interior finish so that you don't end up with splinters from sprayed-in fiberglass, which is found in many dock boxes. You'll appreciate that extra time spent on shopping just for the lack of splinters when retrieving your life jackets and floats.
LockableNot every dock box is lockable, but it's a nice feature to have if you ever keep valuable electronics or navigation equipment in your dock box. The Brinks Marine Lock (check price on Amazon) is a great choice if you're ever in need of extra security. It's made out of die-cast zinc and stainless steel for durability in water-based environments.
Sizes and Styles of Dock Boxes
- Standard Dock Box This is your typical rectangular dock box that can be seen while walking around the marina. You'll usually see quite big ones near the charter fishing boats.
- Low-Profile Dock Box This long and narrow dock box is similar to the standard one. It just has more of a rectangular shape and is a good choice for narrow docks. It could be used to hold fishing poles or kayak paddles.
- Triangular Dock Box This unique version is triangular in shape and fits in a corner, which keeps it out of the way of foot traffic on the dock.
- Seat Top/Bench Dock Boxes One of my favorites as it gives extra seating when you're hanging out on the dock. The rest of it is the same as a standard dock box.
- Upright Storage Lockers Upright locker type boxes are great for storing fishing rods, wakeboards and other gear as well as to hang wetsuits, towels or jackets. They're typically found beneath a covered slip where there's more room.
The 6 Best Dock Boxes to Stow Your Boat Gear
Lifetime 130-Gallon Deck BoxCheck price on Amazon
- Type: Standard
- Material: Polyethylene
- Dimensions: 57" L x 20.75" W x 23.75" H
Rubbermaid Vertical Storage CabinetCheck price on Amazon
- Type: Upright storage locker
- Material: Polyethylene
- Dimensions: 36"L x 18" W x 72" H
Suncast Resin Vertical Storage BoxCheck price on Amazon
- Type: Upright storage box
- Material: Double-wall resin
- Dimensions: 30.25" L x 48" W x 41.25" H
Taylor Made Stow N Go Poly Dock BoxCheck price on Amazon
- Type: Standard
- Material: UV-resistant polyethylene
- Dimensions: 40" L x 24" W x 26" H
Taylor Made Stow N Go Dock Box with 3 Rod HoldersCheck price on Amazon
- Type: Low profile
- Material: Fiberglass
- Dimensions: 95"L x 24" W x 22" H
Taylor Made Stow 'N Go Triangle Dock BoxCheck price on Amazon
- Type: Triangle
- Material: Fiberglass with a UV gelcoat finish
- Dimensions: 54" L x 33" W x 27.5" H